Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Matterhorn Glacier Trail

Last weekend Kevin, Mya, some friends, and myself took the train over to Zermatt, Switzerland to hike the Matterhorn Glacier Trail.  Our visit coincided with a Matterhorn marathon.  Yep you heard me right.  Some crazy individuals participated in either a 16K/1100m, 30K/2000m, or 46K/3600m marathon up a mountain, and they paid money for this torture.  While the runners warmed-up, we also prepared for our hike by carb-loading on Swiss pastries and hydrating with multiple cappuccinos.
Kristi and me waiting for our husbands to bring us breakfast.
The Starting Point  
Some participants warmed-up by jogging around town.  Not exactly what I would want to do before an insane mountain marathon.
Our warm-up
Warm-up completed, we walked through town on our way to the gondola... 



Man taking his sheep for a walk.
Such a beautiful village!
 We got off the lift at Schwarzsee to begin our 3 hour hike to Trockener Steg.
Our Route: gondola from Zermatt to Schwarzsee, hike from Schwarzsee to Trockener Steg, then gondola ride back to Zermatt.
Mya and me posing at Schwarzee.
Family Photo
Schwarzee Lake & the "Maria zum Schnee" (Lady of the Snow) Chapel
This is just silly.  Can't believe how beautiful this country is!
Look at me, I'm hiking.  I got my sneaks on and everything.
Pensive Kevin
Pensive David
Pensive Mya
Kevin is psyched to be this close to the Matterhorn.
Jenn & Mya
No Mya isn't playing dead; she's rolling in sheep shit.
Looks like a different planet up here.
Alp River

Mya racing ahead of me.
Me huffing and puffing up the trail....the air, it's thin.
Me rock climbing. 
More silliness...









Trockener Steg
Kevin enjoying one last pensive moment.
Considering it was my first proper hike, I was pretty wiped out after 3 hours of mainly up-hill walking, but I loved it!  To celebrate our accomplishment we took the lift back down to Schwarzsee for some much deserved beers and rösti.
Go team!
Best rösti of all time, smothered in cheese and topped with a fried egg.  Yes.
After our extremely satisfying post-hike lunch we took the gondola back down to Zermatt for a well earned post-hike nap.
Mya not wanting the hike/most amazing day of her life to be over.   Don't worry puppy, we're hikers now.  We'll be back.



2 comments:

  1. Exquisite photos as always! Loving the pensive Kevin and pensive Maya shots. They're so... pensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's impossible to take a bad picture of Swiss scenery. Kev and Mya always love to ponder life's greatest mysteries while staring into the Alps.

      Delete