Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

We Love Lugano!

This past weekend Kevin, Mya, and I went on a two night getaway to the lovely city of Lugano located in the Italian region of Switzerland (Ticino).  We thoroughly enjoyed exploring the city and made some discoveries along the way...

Discovery #1: Mother Nature can't even put a stop to Swiss efficiency.
One day before our trip a landslide resulted in a 300-ton boulder blocking the train tracks, and thus interrupted our 2.5 hour direct train ride to Lugano.  Although it was disappointing to go from a 1 train trip to a 4 train/1 bus journey, it surprisingly ran very smoothly and only took 1 hour longer than normal.




Discovery #2: In Lugano "Trani" doesn't mean what you think it means.
The night we arrived, Kevin took me to dinner at an Italian restaurant called Trani.  At first I was like, "Wait, where are you taking me?", but as soon as we stepped inside I knew that once again Kevin had found a gem. With a warm and romantic atmosphere and food & wine to match, Trani definately scored big.  Here is the link Trani Osteria & Wine Bar




Discovery #3: Mya's still a tourist attraction.
Just like in Lucerne, Mya is always getting some Japanese tourist love.



Discovery #4: We love chillin' with the cotton heads.
After a long day of what I call hiking and maybe what others would just refer to as walking, we settled ourselves into Grotto Castagneto.  A grotto is a traditional tavern of Ticino offering local wine and food, and more importantly locals.  While enjoying some local Merlot by the cozy fire, we watched some local oldies play an intense 3 hour card game. 

The guy in blue stood up on more than one occasion to animatedly yell in Italian to his fellow players.
Local Merlot




Discovery #5: Mya is so over the funicular.
She may have been lovin' the ride in Stoos, but in Lugano I think the novelty has worn off. I, however, am still lovin it.  



Discovery #6: We will never tire of spending an afternoon enjoying some great food, drinks, and amazing views.
Pictures from our walk around town.









3 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your photos and commentary... and life. Would you and Kevin be interested in a "sister wife" situation? I'm sure Peter wouldn't mind. I'm very organized and a great cook and I already love Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some beautiful scenery! And I love that the restaurant was called, Trani. That's too funny :)

    ReplyDelete