Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

5 Lakes Hike

Mid July 2014 we took the train over to St. Gallen, Switzerland to hike Pizol Mountain for the stunning 5 Lakes Hike.  I've always wanted to do this hike, and was super excited to finally see the breathtaking alpine lakes for myself.  We had been told that it was a more challenging hike - physically demanding and long (I think it took us 6-7hrs), but not scary height wise.  Well my friend, fear is relative and I had myself a full blown panic attack about halfway through.  We had reached a part that was everything I fear with heights rolled into one little personal Hellish nightmare - it was a tiny narrow path, a steep completely exposed drop off, and was slippery due to snow and ice.  Of course I felt myself slip, and proceeded to fall to my knees hyperventilating, unable to breath, and began to sob uncontrollably.  A little part of me always thought panic attacks were a bit of an exaggeration made up by drama queens, but damn this was no joke.  I don't even remember saying "I can't breath".  Luckily Kevin and my friends helped talk me down, and literally held my hand the rest of the way until we reached the next lake.  Man that was not fun.  Toddlers and old ladies looked at me perplexingly as they merrily skipped by while I sat huddled in a hot mess, ugly crying, and gasping for air.  Quite embarrassing, but I can now say I'm glad I did the hike.  I mean, I wouldn't ever do it again (at least not without some hypnotherapy first).  So enjoy the pictures, because this will most likely be the one and only post on the 5 Lakes Hike...

Lake #1


Lake #2


Lake #3


The part where I lost it.  I don't think the picture quite does it justice.  It was a much higher and longer drop than it looks.






Lake #4











Lake #5


"Look!  It's a Mudfalcon!" 





 Victory Beers
God, I was so happy it was over!



No comments:

Post a Comment